Sunday, August 30, 2009

First Day - 30 August

Got into Bangalore Airport last night around 11pm. Felt relieved when I saw my bag at the pick up carousel - I had a really tight transit at Singapore Airport - had to literally run to catch the flight to Bangalore. Also relieved when I saw my name amongst the numerous name placards held up outside the departure hall. Thanks, Murthy!

It was 21 °C - such a nice change from hot and humid Malaysia. The ride to Mysore was eventful. Getting out of Bangalore, my taxi had to make a hard swerve to avoid this motorcyclist, who was flung from the oncoming side of the highway to literally just 20m in front of us. Then I saw 2 incidents of road rage, which I did not even see a hint of during my trip to India last year. It's Saturday, explained my taxi driver during a chai break in the journey. A lot of drink driving on Fridays and Saturdays. I was completely wired till we reached Mysore at half two in the morning.






I'm staying at a new hotel called Urban Oasis Compact, which is ten minutes walk to the shala. The size of the room and bathroom is half that of the room at Green hotel, where I stayed last year. Whilst the Green hotel has a lot of character and charm of an established colonial hotel, Urban Oasis is one of those new no-frills hotel, but has Samsung flat screen TVs in each room and comes with free wifi and breakfast at rooftop of the building. Speaking of rooftops, most houses in Gokulam have flat roofs and many use the rooftop for their own recreational use.

Found out the time to register is slightly after 4pm. I wonder whether there will be conference in the shala today. Usually on Sundays, there is a conference / Q and A at the shala. Great to finally be here!

No comments: