Sunday, April 26, 2009

Out Of Action

Happened during futsal. A seemingly harmless shot at goal, I simply went to punch the ball out. Strangely, I felt my back seized up. Even more distressing, I could not straighten up and have to limped off like an old man. I didn't even have a fall to justify my exit.

It could be three things :
1) I've been concentrating too much on flexibility and neglected strength training;
2) sign of age;
3) these things happen.

Funnily, I could bend forward; but straightening up was very gingerly. That night was restless with attempts at all kinds of sleeping positions; but to no avail. The next day the physiotherapist noted one of the facet of the spine was blocked, and promptly manipulated it back. What a relief! That night I could finally straighten out my legs on the bed and was just getting comfortable when the wife decided to talk about her woes at work. Woe is me - I remembered reflecting then.

Of course, no yoga since then. Am thinking of cutting back on the practice and spending some time at the gym. Not ready to cut out the futsal yet. But perhaps this latest mishap is telling me I'm getting on. Well, the body may be getting on but the mind is too stubborn to acknowledge that.

4 comments:

Karin said...

Hi,

Sad to hear that you are cutting back on your yoga practice. I thought you would put more into your yoga practice since you hurt your back. These poses at http://www.yogacards.com/back_pain_problems.html will help to reduce and heal back problems.

M_in_M said...

Thanks for the link. I am still thinking about cutting back. (I'm a slow thinker!). Anyway, by cutting back, I meant reducing my practice to 2 or 3 times a week, as compared to 4 or 5 times a week.

Time is limited. And lately, I'm thinking of starting some meditation as well. Going to the gym may be a good step to rehab my back before continuing a 5 times weekly yoga practice.

roselil said...

I am convenienced that the correct answer is 3).

And if your back hurts and you feel that you should not practice vigorous asanas, I suggest you stick to some kind of breathing or sitting practice. It will give you peace of mind and will make it much easier for you to get back into asana practice once you are healed again.

M_in_M said...

Thanks for your comments, roselil. Back is almost back to normal. Yes, am looking to do a bit of pranayama. May do some light practice after work, then do some basic pranayama. Thanks!