Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Internet Cafe

Other than Anu's, I frequent an internet cafe just over 5 minutes walk from the Green hotel. The computers are older and internet speed slower, but hey, at 10 rupees an hour, it's fine with me.

Yesterday, just as I was settling down to my assigned cubicle, there was a power cut. So I leaned back and noticed a boy in the next cubicle looking at me. I smiled back and then sat and waited for the power to come back on. All of a sudden, the boy was standing in front of me, just staring and smiling. Trying to be unfazed, I took out my camera and took a picture of him. Of course the flash brought his friends along as well - which was a relief. There were the usual questions - where I'm from, do I have any Malaysian coins on me, etc. Turned out these kids were from a local secondary school and they use the internet for chatting.

By this time, our friend has positioned himself next to me. Before I know it, I felt a hand on my shoulder. Immediately I stood up and said in my gruffiest voice, "Ok boys. Got to go. See ya!" and left in what I hoped looked like a dignified exit.

No comments: